Free School Meals
Please register for Free School Meals Eligible by Benefit (EBB) if you are in receipt of qualifying benefits as registration will attract additional funding for your child’s school for Pupil Premium (£935 per Secondary pupil for the financial year 2019/20). The B&NES Free School Meals Eligibility Checking service now has a new Free School Meals web page on the B&NES website with a link to an online benefit related free school meal application form which can be found using the following link: https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals
Please visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pupil-premium-information-for-schools-and-alternative-provision-settings for more information about Pupil Premium Funding for schools.
If your child is in year 6 in a B&NES primary school and they are currently receiving benefit related free school meals, there is no need to reapply as eligibility to a free school meal will automatically transfer to their new B&NES secondary school. The only time they should reapply is if the child previously attended a school from another county – they would then need to apply through the B&NES Free School Meals website as mentioned above.
You can register your entitlement for Free School Meals if you have children who attend Ralph Allen School and receive the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (WITHOUT Working Tax Credit) and have and annual household income (as assessed by HMRC) below £16,190
- Run-on Working Tax Credit which is only paid for 4 weeks after you STOP qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- The Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under PartV1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
To register for Free School Meals
- Online application form on the B&NES Free School Meals website: https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals
- Call 01225 394317 to make a telephone registration. They are a small team, so if they do not pick up, please leave them a message; they always respond.
- Complete a registration form at your School or Academy or Council Connect offices at the Guildhall in Bath, The Civic Centre in Keynsham, and The Hollies in Midsomer Norton.
Using the web link , https://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/schools-colleges-and-learning/school-meals-and-catering/free-school-meals download and complete the registration form and email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to: Free School Meals Team, People and Communities Finance, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG.
What happens next?
The Local Authority will check your eligibility to qualifying benefits on your behalf using the DFE Online Free School Meal Checking Service. Your National Insurance or National Asylum Seeker Support Number and Date of Birth will be required to do this. They then will inform you and the school of your child(s) entitlement to free school meals, or alternatively whether your registration has been rejected and if so, on what grounds.
What happens if my circumstances change?
Please inform the Free School Meal team:
- If an additional child is starting school.
- If you move house (please also tell the school).