- The uniform is COMPULSORY for all students in Years 7-11 and must be worn in full to and from home, and at all times during the school day in the correct and appropriate manner.
- The uniform is identical for all year groups, with the exception of the Year 10 and 11 tie, which is silver and is to recognise their more senior position in the school.
- All standard items of the school uniform must be purchased directly from our suppliers Scholars of Bath at 4 Terrace Walk, Bath, BA1 1LN
Tel: 01225 462206Scholars
- Additional non-standard items of uniform (shirt, socks and shoes) can be purchased at Scholars, or alternatively, through any other appropriate supplier. Items purchased from alternative suppliers must meet the school guidelines.
- Students are NOT permitted to wear items of Physical Education kit underneath/with their uniform at any time unless prior agreement from the school has been given.
- Students who arrive at school in non-uniform and/or unsuitable footwear, must anticipate being given replacement uniform and/or shoes, being isolated or, in some cases, being sent home to change.
- All uniform must be named. Then if it is lost, it will be returned to the student. If it is not named or reclaimed it will be kept by Student Services then sold in our second hand uniform sale.
- In making a decision about what constitutes acceptable uniform and appearance, the decision of the Headteacher and the Leadership Team is final, binding and without question.
- The school has a supply of second hand uniform. For details of sale dates please see the school website.
Students MUST WEAR BOTH the Ralph Allen School tailored jacket and either matching tailored trousers or the matching tailored skirt, a suit, as the main item of their uniform. School skirts must be worn at the correct length, and must not be rolled up.
The suit material is black with a fine green 6mm pin stripe and is ONLY AVAILABLE from Scholars. The suit must be worn to and from school and whilst on site at all times. At the discretion of the teacher, students are allowed to remove their jackets in class. Staff will inform students when jackets do not need to be worn for practical work subjects.
Plain White Shirt:
Students must wear a formal/regular white shirt. It must be plain white only. It may be either long or short sleeved. The formal/regular white shirt will be designed with a regular collar and will be buttoned up to the neck/collar for the school tie to be worn in conjunction with it, and should always be worn tucked in.
RALPH ALLEN SCHOOL TIES:
All students must wear a Ralph Allen School tie at all times. This must be worn appropriately, (Green tie for Years 7 to 9, silver tie for Year 10 and 11 only). The tie is ONLY AVAILABLE from Scholars of Bath.
RALPH ALLEN JUMPER (optional):
Students may wear the green ‘v’ neck jumper embroidered with the Griffin. This may be worn under the suit jacket. It is not to be worn as an alternative to the jacket! Students are to wear their ties tucked into their jumpers. The jumper is ONLY AVAILABLE from Scholars.
Summer and Winter; extreme weather regulations
During periods of excessively warm weather/temperatures, the school may temporarily suspend the necessity to wear a jacket for school.
During periods of excessively cold weather/temperatures, students may wear a plain white tee shirt or vest underneath their regular shirt/blouse. In the eventuality of snowy/icy conditions, students may wear suitable/appropriate shoes/ boots to school.
Students and parents will be informed of these temporary changes to the regulations along with the applicable dates via the schools regular communication channels.
Other Uniform Details
(Guidance for parents and students of acceptable and unacceptable styles of shoes).
Shoes must be black and suitable for school wear. Clear and definitive guidance and images of acceptable and unacceptable footwear for school are available to all parents on the school’s website. This comes in the form of a series of photographs of shoes displaying the styles, which are appropriate, and ones, which are not appropriate at Ralph Allen School. We very strongly recommend that every parent view’s the footwear images before making any purchase in order to avoid unnecessary expense and inconvenience caused by procuring inappropriate shoes.
- TRAINERS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE as footwear at Ralph Allen School.
- VANS, INCLUDING LEATHER VANS, ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE as footwear at Ralph Allen School.
- Trainers, trainer style, Vans, any board style, deck style, canvas pumps, shoes with a white or coloured band round the sole and plimsolls are NOT TO BE WORN at school or to and from school at any time.
- SOCKS & TIGHTS must be plain, below knee length socks, either black, white or dark grey, are permitted. Students are permitted to wear plain tights, which are either black or flesh-coloured only, when wearing the school skirt. Not acceptable for school are tights that have any colour in them or any pattern on them. Footless tights are not permitted.
- LEGGINGS no type of legging is permitted.
A plain waterproof coat is recommended for all students. Alternatively, students could wear a fleece.
Students who cycle to school are strongly encouraged to wear helmets, high visibility jackets/bands, especially during the shorter days and darker nights.
- HOODIES are not part of our uniform code. They are NOT to be worn, to and from, or at the school at any time. Students who arrive at school in these garments must anticipate having them removed for the duration of the day. Please do not send your child to school dressed in any garment, which resembles a HOODIE of any description this includes hoodies with or without, a zip.
- Students are not to wear sweatshirts and/or tracksuit tops including to and from school.
An apron is needed for Design & Technology lessons (it needs to be named!) These are available from Scholars, other retail outlets or alternatively from the school finance office.
Students may wear a watch, religious symbol or ear stud (no more than one in each ear and no hoop earrings). For health and safety reasons no other jewellery is to be worn. Students who fail to follow this code must anticipate items being confiscated, and/or being sent home. No bracelets and bands are allowed.
Students are allowed to wear simple stud style earrings (a maximum of two, one in each earlobe).
NOSE STUDS, TONGUE STUDS, EYEBROW RINGS or any equivalent FACIAL PIERCINGS are NOT ALLOWED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, including when travelling to and from school. This is Ralph Allen School policy. Additionally, it is also in line with Health and Safety regulations. Students who do not comply with the piercing regulations must anticipate being isolated and/or sent home from school.
MAKE-UP AND COSMETICS:
Make up is not permitted in Years 7-9. Discreet use of makeup that is not visible is allowed in Years 10–11.
Nail varnish is not permitted in Years 7–11. Acrylic nails or any extensions are also not permitted in any years for health and safety regulations.
Hair is to be of one natural colour and not extreme in style or length. Long hair must be tied back in practical lessons. Students who colour the ends of their hair, or have extreme coloured streaks in it, or have hair which is too short or extreme in style e.g. any shaved pattern in hair, must anticipate being asked to wear a hat (as provided by the school) around the site or sent home to wash it out or dye it an appropriate colour. They will then be expected to return to school.
These are not permitted in school.
Physical Education Kit
All students will require the following equipment:
Black/green Ralph Allen polo shirt (with school and house logo*)
Black/green Ralph Allen shorts (with school logo*) or Ralph Allen skort (with school logo*)
Black sports leggings or black sports joggers can be worn during winter months
Black Ralph Allen sports fleece (with school logo*) or the black/ green Ralph Allen Rugby shirt** (with school logo*)
Pair of white socks and a pair of green/black games socks
All students will require a pair of trainers and also a pair of studded/ moulded (no blades) boots
All students will require a pair of shin pads for hockey and football.
*Only available from Scholars
**Compulsory when representing the school