Severe weather arrangements & early closure
Severe weather conditions before departing for school (i.e. there is heavy snowfall during the night, the following arrangements will apply)
- In the event of severe weather, especially heavy snow, I will conduct a risk assessment to assess the safety of the school site in general. From that assessment, I will make a decision if it is required to close the school for the day.
- We always hope to avoid the scenario but the health and safety of our students and staff must be balanced against any inconvenience that a school closure may cause.
- If the decision is made to close the school, an announcement will be made via our website by 6.30am on that day.
- If the school remains open following the risk assessment being carried out, however you decide based on local road and weather conditions that it is too dangerous to send your son/daughter to school, we would ask that you telephone into the school and select option 1 to report a student absence as you would for any absence.
- The site will be checked daily for each day of severe weather forecast and the above procedure will apply.
Severe weather conditions during the day (i.e. after students have arrived at school, there is heavy snowfall the following arrangements will apply)
- With our students’ safety as priority, we will keep a constant check on road condition reports and weather forecasts throughout the day.
- If conditions worsen during the day or if bus operators advise of an early departure, it would normally be our procedure to enable students to begin their journey home before buses cease running and daylight fades.
- To allow parents from outlying areas to pick up their children earlier in the day.
- If the decision is made to close the school, an announcement will be made via our website and the Local Authority will also be notified.
- It is essential that you give your child clear instructions for what they are to do in this kind of emergency closure. Make sure they have up to date telephone numbers and they know how to contact you or another responsible person. Also, ensure they know how to get into the house, or an alternative relative or friend they can get to, and wait at in your absence.