Welcome to our Parent Circle page
Parent Circle is a once termly opportunity for parents and carers from Ralph Allen School to meet and connect with each other. These meetings are run by volunteer parents from the school and are open to all school parents and carers. They provide an informal time and space where parents can find out more about school life by sharing their family's day to day experiences of being at Ralph Allen. If you would like to get involved and volunteer as part of the group let us know.
Sign up for our mailing list here: http://eepurl.com/dzB0gj, so you can receive notification of meeting dates and notes from the previous meeting. We promise not to fill up your inbox.
Meeting dates for the coming year 2020-21 are:
Term 1 – Weds 30 Sept 2020
Term 2 – Weds 18 Nov 2020
Term 3 –Weds 20 Jan 2021
Term 4 – Thurs 11 March 2021
Term 5 – Weds 12 May 2021
Term 6 – Thurs 17 June 2021
The sessions run once a term at 6.30-8 pm in the Lee 6th Form Centre, however, recent circumstances have meant that meetings have been held online via zoom. This has proved very successful, enabling many more parents to attend and making it feel more inclusive and accessible. The plan is that meetings will continue online until we are able to return to the school campus. We may continue to run some meetings online anyway as it has made them so much more accessible.
During the sessions, there is often a predetermined school-related theme that parents can discuss sharing their own experiences and knowledge. Sometimes a member of the school staff is invited by the group to attend and talk about a particular subject raised by parents. Whilst the school may consult with parents via Parent Circle on certain issues, the sessions are first and foremost a forum for parents to speak freely about their or their child's experiences of school. There is always time and space for all parents to contribute and bring their own opinions and experiences.
Meetings are attended by a wide variety of parents from many backgrounds. It is a pleasure and inspiration to realise how much parents and carers have in common and how helpful these meetings can be, it is always valuable to hear different peoples experiences.
The aim of Parent Circle is to support parents who may be at different or similar stages of the same journey. The school are very supportive of Parent Circle as insights gained from the conversations at meetings can and have benefited the school by enabling ongoing development and in the long run better outcomes for the students.
Notes from meetings always identify areas for Learning for the Parent Circle group – things we’ve discovered that are relevant to parents of Ralph Allen students, Learning for the School – things that have come up that the school might benefit from hearing, Celebration – positive things that we/our children have experienced at Ralph Allen, given that most organisations mainly get told the negative things. Join the mailing list to get sent these notes.
To ensure the sustainability of Parent Circle we need other parents to get involved. If you are interested in becoming part of the team please email email@example.com.
Coming to Parent Circle:
- A time and place for Ralph Allen parents and carers to come together.
- Volunteer with other RAS parents
- Engage more with your child's experience of secondary school.
- Meet, talk and share with other parents.
- Connect with the school community.
- Connect to your child's transition to secondary school.
- Meet parents on the same journey, having the same experiences and share your concerns.
- Meet parents who can offer insights about the different stages that they have already experienced.
- Be reassured and more engaged
- Feel more informed
- Understand more about how the school works
Ralph Allen Schools approach to Parent Circle:
- The school actively supports and welcomes Parent Circle.
- A way to engage with the parent body.
- The senior leadership team always consider and respond to the issues raised through the meeting notes.
- In response to the meeting notes the school shares existing strategies or considers possible options for change
- Has often consulted with the group using feedback to develop new initiatives.
As a result of the discussions at Parent Circle Meetings:
- Parent focus groups have helped work with the school on developments and initiatives including the Wellbeing Strategy.
- The school has run digital media and safeguarding workshops for parents.
- Parent Circle has run a variety of parent surveys.
- Parent Circle has produced a document of ways for parents to tackle screen time with students at home.
- Transport Survey around after school clubs transport.
Get involved to make Parent Circle more sustainable. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just in case you aren’t clear, here is what Parent Circle is NOT:
- Social events organising
- Cake Sales
For any of these, you need to contact RASA (Ralph Allen School Association) on email@example.com.
For a video about Parent Circle click here: https://vimeo.com/225869753